Thursday, February 26, 2009

A break in the weather


A cool change has swept across the town in the last few days, each day even more pleasant than the preceding one. I've been so used to days of high 30s to low 40s that I get so excited when a cool day arrives. For a start, it means that I can leave my prison barracks. Well, that is how it feels when you physically cannot leave the house after 10am in the morning. Some weeks it feels like I've been in solitary confinement and I do feel quite low.

But I made the most of the weather and feel so much better for it. Yesterday, me & Boo went for a bushwalk to a nearby walk trail. She got a free ride in my Ergo backpack for the first part and then when we reached the top of the rock, she got out and enjoyed scampering over the surface, picking up rocks from one pile and putting them in another!

Today, we drove 10kms out to a salt lake. Sounds exciting huh? In winter, the lake is full (but still very salty); in summer, the water has all but gone, leaving a scaly, crystal surface. We sat in the sand by the edge of the salt for a while and then walked out into the middle. Boo enjoyed the noise her feet made as they broke through the hard, crunchy surface. She even tried a bit of the salt but wasn't too impressed!


At one point, the sun was pleasantly warm on my back and the breeze was cool and refreshing. I was gazing at my beautiful daughter, with no-one else around to interupt us. I was just so happy. This is motherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment