Sunday, March 22, 2009

Welcome to the 'hood


Well, it has taken one year, one month, two weeks and three days, but it seems like it's finally happening...the first glimmerings of being accepted into The MotherHood! On Fridays, I take Boo to a group called Mainly Music. It is run by the Anglican Church and basically provides a fun program based on singing, actions and rhymes for mums and their babies/toddlers to participate in. It is without a doubt, the best thing going for mums and kids in this town (yep, it's first out of two choices)!

So, there I was, watching Boo playing with the other kids after the session, and suddenly, I hear my name being called out. I look up, and two mums, who I quite like, start wending their way toward me. Slightly alarmed, I look up at them as they look down on me...."Now, you don't have to say 'yes' straight away..."

Turns out, they are part of a committee organising a Parent & Kids Expo here in September...a one-day affair designed to provide information, resources and activities for parents and their children. And why did they want my help? Turns out they think I grow vegetables. I don't. But my husband does, and everyone who walks past our backyard (which is open for the world to see), knows exactly whats going on there! So they basically thought that, given my obvious predilection for vegetables (which turns out to be non-existent) I may be interested in helping with a stall where kids get to plant their own herb/vegetable seeds to take home and look after. Without much thought, I said 'yes', and even volunteered the services of my dear hubby!

Some time after that, another lady came up to me and asked me if I was interested in coming to her Thermomix demo. Again I said 'yes' pretty much straight away. It was interesting that she asked me actually - she has lived here for many years and I would have thought she would have been more likely to ask some of the other mums to come, in preference to me. Well maybe she did and they all said 'no' and I was the last name left on her list! Who knows? I'm taking it as a positive sign that I am starting to be accepted into the 'hood. I'm also putting this down partly to the fact that I have been trying to drop hints that we will be staying here 'forever' - that we have no intention of jumping ship anytime soon. People here aren't interested in anyone they think is just a flash in the pan...that much has become clear to me. So I've been trying to score myself some brownie points...and I think it's working!

5 comments:

  1. I left you a link after your post on my blog, for details of a site that can help with changing things on your blog.
    did that make any sense at all lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW your really putting in some effort. I totally understand, we live in a very small mining town.
    My sister has lived here for years and she is one of the worse and I’m her sister. I was saying to her how people here don’t smile or say “Hi” and she said to me “That is because, we don’t NEED friends we have our own, we know you smile to get in with use…”
    What the heck, I smile and say Hi just cause that is how I am. Lol
    So far I have not bothered to much with anyone, we have been here 3yearsw now. It’s quite isolating but I have my kids for now maybe in a year or 2 when Aden’ sat school. I have meet 2 really genuine mums here that are worth my energy lol all the best

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, yes I know that. And I've also been the recipient when someone is going to 'fix' the town in 10 weeks. You're right, all you can do is keep plugging away and people eventually realise you've been there a long time.
    How exciting having an expo, I know community markets are a lot of fun, something special for kids would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments Deb & Cathy! Cathy, your sister sounds horrible (no offence meant)!!!! I can't believe that she said that to you! But I agree, it is soooo nice when you do eventually meet other mums that you just click with and know that you can just be yourself. Deb, perhaps one day, in maybe thirty years time, I'll wake up one morning and think 'Yep, finally, I'm a local!...'

    ReplyDelete
  5. "And I've also been the recipient when someone is going to 'fix' the town in 10 weeks"

    Deb I've seen that happen here to. gets so many hard working community members off guard and I'm sure they don’t mean to they just don’t think!

    ReplyDelete