Monday, May 4, 2009

To spend is to live


OK, I have to admit it, I must be a bit of a freak. I hate spending money unnecessarily on my daughter. I don’t believe that the only way she can have fun, enjoy herself and be occupied is dependent on me spending money towards this end. Part of this boils down to the fact that we don’t have an enormously high disposable income but it is also, I feel, a bit of a rail against the highly consumerist, materialistic, disposable society that I am now bringing my daughter up in. It is also a great deal to do with how we were brought up as children…there’s no easy way to say this – my dad was, and still is, a miser. He refused to spend money on either himself or his family unless it was absolutely necessary – and his definition of ‘necessary’ sometimes bordered on the absurd! I still have visions of him wandering around in threadbare pyjamas that seemed held together by a miraculous web of cotton threads. To be fair to my father, though, he did have a plan. The plan was to save up as much money as he could so that he could give all of his children a debt-free start to life. But, I digress…

Influenced both by my father’s strict fiscal policies, my own Bahá’í ideals of striving to live a less materialistic lifestyle and our own lack of ready money, has led me to rail against the almost invisible pressures that seem to command us that to spend is to live. The point was driven home rather painfully a few days ago when we were with Boo’s grandparents at a busy marketplace in the city. We had all stopped to have a bite to eat. Nearby, there was one of those mechanical rides for kids that you pay for. It was a simple chair-lift that went round and round a picture of the globe with flashing lights. Now both Boo and her cousin were more than happy to sit in the motionless seat and just pretend – you know, that thing children of yesteryear seemed enormously capable of doing without resort to their parents’ wallet… I was happy that they were finding a way to entertain themselves and each other safely and happily without much call for parental intervention. They weren’t complaining, they weren’t demanding, they weren’t grumbling. They were just happy playing. But it seems that was not enough…soon enough, along came a grandparent with a gleaming coin, ready to insert into the slot. I rather surreptitiously whisked Boo away and her cousin got the ride, which lasted all of about sixty seconds. He grinned away as the chair lurched in fits and starts around the globe, but soon the entertainment was over and he moved on to the next source of occupation – food.

And here it happened again. Boo had just eaten breakfast and wasn’t particularly hungry – of course she loves picking things from what everyone else is eating, but she didn’t require anything specifically for her, and I certainly wasn’t about to buy anything. But, no, the ever-perceptive grandparents, decided that seeing as everyone else was eating something (apart from me), she must require something too. So off they went and bought her a blueberry muffin. Of course, I felt that it was my duty to ensure that she ate some as it was bought specifically for her (regardless of the fact that it wasn’t something I would have bought for her in the first place...but that’s another story!). She picked at a few blueberries but she would have been just as happy without it.

A short while later, she wandered over to the ride again, whilst everyone was finishing their meals. As she was happily climbing on the ride, the golden coin was slipped into the machine and she was given her due turn. A well-intentioned grandparent explained that her cousin had been given a go so it was only fair that she had a turn as well. The eyes turned on me as I protested that they could ‘save their money until she actually knows that she’s missing out on something’. Not to be discouraged, the proud grandparents strapped her in for her sixty seconds of jerky entertainment. She was mildly entertained; they, it seems had the majority of the fun. Later I said that it was unnecessary and that she would have been equally as happy without the ride. At this, my mother-in-law looked at me and said “Well, do you object when her father throws her up in the air?”. A bit baffled by the logic behind this argument, I merely replied “Of course not, because he can do that for free”. She shook her head at me and said “One day when you’re a grandparent, you’ll understand”.

Actually I think I’ll probably feel the same way as I do now, though I suppose only time will tell. I just want to avoid creating a situation where my daughter feels that she always has to have a ride whenever we walk past one; that if someone else is having a go then she has to have a go too; that I have to pay money for her to be entertained; and that her grandparents are good for getting things out of. That’s not what I want for her, for myself or for them. I know it’s a big leap from one isolated incident to the scenario above, but I am ever conscious of the dreaded slippery-slope downwards. I’d rather not succumb right from the start. It makes everything easier in the long run.

I suppose I’m really also railing against the commodification of childhood. I want to teach my daughter that she CAN’T have everything that she wants; that there is a clear and discernible difference between needs and wants; and that it is not morally right for people in one part of the world to live in abject poverty with their most basic of needs being unmet while at the same time it being possible for us to have anything and everything that we want, when we want it. I’m not suggesting that we all live on rice and water in empathy for those who are in desperate circumstances, but I am advocating that it is up to the adults of today to show the younger generation that regardless of our wealth and material circumstances, we all need to be a lot more conscious and economical about the way we live and about how we spend our time and our money. Yes, we should use the money we have rightfully earned to make our lives comfortable and enjoyable, but surely there must be a limit to our wants and desires? We need to rise up to the nobility of our station rather than sink into the ever more gloomy depths of hedonistic desire.

We need far less than we think we need and we want far more than we need to want.

2 comments:

  1. I’m a lot like you, that I buy not much for myself. So much so that I have had comments at my sons school if I only have two shirts lol. I have not much more 4 actually and 2 have wholes and I still wear them. If only my mother taught me one basic necessity, to sew sigh. I have tried to sew the wholes…but they just seem to bunch up.
    I only real luxury I allow myself, is my camera and isn’t’ a very basic SLR.
    I wear shoes I brought 6years ago and don’t care if they are out of fashion. I did however buy my first pair of shoes in 6years, just a few months ago. I have been wearing thongs and really I needed those shoes for Doctors and hospital appointments…. DH drives me nuts that he has over 30 shirts with work logo’s and Mines rescue logo’s and he doesn’t wear any of them. What is that about? Strange.
    I did spend up big on kids toys about 2years ago and haven’t brought much since. My kids still don’t have anywhere near their cousins and it’s obvious every time we visit, we don’t allow video games and they have them all.
    The toys I brought up on, have been a huge benefit for Aden’s fine motor skills and it has paid off. When we are done with them I’m passing on all the ones suitable for kids with Special needs to the Early Intervention Centre. I have to drive 4hours, for Aden to go to school 2 hours there 2 back once a week. So I have literally brought Early intervention to us. I should have blogged this on my own blog sorry if it’s too much rambling.
    Before having Aden I never brought into all the adverts that this toy helps with xy and z. but I can honestly say that if you have a child with needs like Aden they do make a huge difference. My other kids never needed them, were happy to make their own fun. Like your finding with your child, all that changes with a child with special needs, I guess that is why Early intervention centres have soo much stuff. Aden is into wood puzzles at the moment with is great, his having heaps of fun.

    You might really enjoy this video on my blog about Stuff.
    http://4ever-blessed.blogspot.com/2009/04/story-of-stuff.html
    Lovely post as always I’m so glad I’m following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect Mum - I think we must be twins! I feel the exact same way about teaching our children to be wasteful and materialistic. If only there were more Mothers like you in the world xx

    ReplyDelete